What do I need to do before I can start driving?

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What do I need to do before I can start driving?

  • You must have a Provisional Licence.
  • You must complete driving licence application form D1 and photocard application form D750 (Available from most post offices).
  • The minimum age which you can legally drive a car on the public roads is 17.
  • If you are disabled and in receipt of mobility allowance, the minimum age is 16.
  • Until the day you pass the practical part of the Driving Test you are not allowed to drive on your own.
  • It is also worthwhile having an eyesight test to check that you meet the minimum eyesight standard for driving.

How much are lessons with an instructor?

Instructors' lesson prices vary depending on what is your driving ability and what type of lesson.

Please call you local centre on 07957 112 980 and speak to your local centre team who'll discuss the lesson prices with you.

Remember to ask about course discounts or current special offers.

How often should I have my lessons?

How often you have your lessons is entirely up to you.

The instructor recommends at least 1 session of 2 hours per week (subject to availability).

What is the cheapest way of booking my lessons?

You can cut the cost of learning to drive by taking advantage of block booking discounts. Savings can be made on courses of 10, 15, 20 and 30 hours.

How many driving lessons will I need to take?

Driving Standards Agency research shows that the current average is 45 hours of tuition, with an additional 22 hours private practice to pass. Your instructor will give you an idea of how long you are likely to need after your first lesson. You can help keep this low by taking two-hour lessons and following our easy tips for practice with parents or relatives.

Do A PASS do intensive courses?

Your course can be as intensive as you wish (subject to availability).

We will arrange to carry out a driving assessment and talk through the various options available.

Learning to drive is different for everyone so rather than sell you a set package we'll tailor one to suit you.

Do I need to pass the Theory Test before I can start my driving lessons?

No. In fact it is a good idea to learn the theory whilst you are learning the practical as it can bring the subject alive making it easier to understand and remember.

What should I study to pass the Theory Test?

Few Books to recommend:

  1. The high way code
  2. Knowing your traffic sign
  3. The official driving test
  4. Driving the essential skills

The Highway CodeKnowing Your Traffic SignThe Official Driving TestDriving: The Essential Skills

For Hazard perception

  1. Road sense hazard perception

Road Sense Hazard Perception

You can obtained these items from any local bookshops or buy online http://www.tso.co.uk/bookshop

Where do I take my Theory Test?

There are Theory Test centres located all over the UK run by the DSA.

Now that there is a Theory Test, will I still be asked questions at the end of my Practical Test?

No. The Practical Test and Theoretical Test are now completely separate.

Can a friend or relative teach me how to drive?

The Driving Standards Agency strongly recommends that you take lessons from an Approved Driving Instructor. If your friend or relative teaches you they must be over 21 years of age and have held a Full British Driving Licence for at least 3 years. It's worthwhile remembering too that learning with a friend or relative means you could pick up their bad habits.

I'm really nervous about starting my driving lessons, are there any special courses?

Driving instructors are aware of the anxieties you may have when you start your lessons so they should be able to put you at ease.

Will my instructor expect me to know the basics of learning to drive?



Ref No:


Area Covered by A Pass Driving School
Acton, Ealing, Harrow, Hayes, Isleworth, Northwood, Pinner, Ruislip & Watford


6 Hillview Close, Hatch End, Middlesex HA5 4PD
Tel: 07957 112 980
Driving Standards Agency, Department of Transport Approved Driving Instructor, Pass Plus


One-way traffic
One-way traffic

Segregated pedal cycle and pedestrian route
Segregated pedal cycle and pedestrian route

Minimum speed
Minimum speed

Mini-roundabout (roundabout circulation - give way to vehicles from the immediate right)
Mini-roundabout (roundabout circulation - give way to vehicles from the immediate right)

Vehicles may pass either side to reach same destination
Vehicles may pass either side to reach same destination

Buses and cycles only
Buses and cycles only

With-flow bus and cycle lane
With-flow bus and cycle lane


Double bend first to left (symbol may be reversed)
Double bend first to left (symbol may be reversed)

Bend to right (or left if symbol reversed)
Bend to right (or left if symbol reversed)